Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Book Review: Horse Power

Today’s book isn’t really a novel but a short story which helps to understand what is going on in the main series of books.  In these few pages, I felt a strong story that needs to be seen in its fullest.  As soon as I am able, I’ll be buying the first in the trilogy.
Horse Power, by the lovely and talented Sue Ann Bowling, is about filling a need on a planet which is being exploited by the company backing the colony which resides there.  It sets the tone for the trilogy which she is currently working on.  While the setting isn’t given much description, you can almost feel yourself there in the fields and the rocky terrain surrounding the town this story takes place.
The pacing is fast, but not so quick as to send you flying through the pages.  I read this in a single afternoon while my youngest son was in therapy.  It grabs you and pulls deep within the pages to live among these hardy folk and find an answer to their growing problem.
Those who follow Sue Ann Bowling’s blog will be familiar with the characters of Roi, Timi and Amber.  But, just reading this short, I really get to know them better and see how their minds work.  The tension between the friends can be felt and the willingness for Roi to help the couple and their home planet in any way he can.
Of all the characters, I think I like Timi the most.  He didn’t have a lot to say or do, but he struck me as the kind of man you want on your side, giving a new way to see things and work out ways to solve problems.  While he is someone who didn’t want to be indebted to anyone, he could see a good deal when one came around.  If that same deal could help others, then it would be a win-win for all.
Amber, I liked, though the focus, to me, seemed to be on her more than the others.  But, she has the wisdom to see the aid her old friend would be more than just a few animals for the kids to have, but something to benefit everyone.  Besides, all kids need a pet of some kind.  Right?
As a whole, I loved the book.  It was a refreshing read that begs to be read over and over again.  Though I had bought it while it was free on Amazon, I found it to be well worth the normal price which is, currently, 99 cents.  She can get away with charging more for the quality and effort she put into this.
I give Horse Power a rating of four stars.  Why?  Because it feels like there should be more to the story.  I know the rest will be coming in the trilogy, but the wait is enough to make me pace.  The plot is strong with a strong world presence and equally appealing characters.

Pick it up and enjoy a taste of an alien world!

No comments:

Post a Comment