Sunday, January 27, 2013

Weekend Wonder #fiction #writing #fantasy


So, instead of writing a nice post about the novel I’ve worked on for the past 16 years or so, I went to the Home and Garden Show at Expo Square.  I have to say it was an interesting outing and a little more perspective on crowds.
The way the Home and Garden show was set it, it had the feeling of a trade fair back in the medieval times with workers harking their wares or sitting back and letting their product speak for itself.  Crowded?  Definitely.  Loud?  You better believe it.  Ordered chaos?  You bet!  Fun?  Most definitely!  I enjoyed myself and mom and I came home with a few new items to add to our eclectic collections.
To say I am pleased with myself would be an understatement.  I had fun without having to exert myself and relaxed while strolling through the stands.
What does this have to do with Way of the Comet?
A lot has to do with it.  The interactions of people in an enclosed area for one and how the crowd felt on the physical, emotional and spiritual level as well as my reactions to it in all my senses.
I’ll be the first to say I am mildly agoraphobic.  I don’t like crowds.  They make me nervous and with so many people around, everyone invades my bubble.  Unintentionally, of course, but that’s how it feels.  It took about a half an hour before I could distance a portion of my mind to view these reactions and watch the people interact.  All the way down to the babies being held and the little kids running around.
All of that will be used in a scene where our heroine will be up for sale at an illegal trade fair.  She’ll be a slave then stolen property in a short time due to greedy people.  The slave trade in this world Larana lives in is frowned upon and all but one of the countries actively works to weed out all the black market trading and selling of slaves.  The only one isn’t actively working on eliminating the slave trade make passable attempts, but they are actually the ones who are running it for their own gluttonous needs.
In another scene, there will be a more gentle moment where Larana and her small court are entering a kingdom to pay a visit to their leader.  All kinds of trouble can be had in both instances.  It’s just a matter of how, when, and where they’ll happen and what the consequences will be.
All I need to do now is to dedicate some time to writing this one.  My muse keeps pushing me toward another story.  Oh well, at least it’s one I need to work on as well.

What did you do this weekend?

No comments:

Post a Comment