Monday, August 13, 2012

Monday Report #writemotivation


Here it is, another Monday (Boo!) and time to tell everyone how good, or bad, I have been with my writing goals for the month.  All I can say is… I’ll tell you later.
It has been a rollercoaster of a week for me.  Busy at work which makes tired to think about writing at home.  I found a few more old Nano stories and started reading them just to see where I was in them.  On top of all of that, I was tending to the new kitten (Yay!) we got to make sure my tomcat doesn’t hurt her while they wrestle and get to know one another.
Between those two, I believe we made a record in the amount of time it took two cats to settle in and be sociable with one another.  Before the second day was done, Caffeine was more interested in trying to let her know he was the top cat; which she immediately corrected him much to his dismay.  He shrugged that off and soon found curled up in the kitty cube sleeping with her on the third day.  Ever since, both have been nestling on the bed with me at night to sleep; usually with Hylie (the kitten) snuggled up tight against my knees while Caffeine curls up in his divot by my feet.
Saturday, there was a #writemotivation meet up which was fun.  It was also inspirational as well.  On the way up to Wichita, we were talking about the book Fifty Shades of Gray and why it was receiving as much ridicule as the Twilight books.  There was plenty of good reasons given and some examples the others have found.  None of those I will go into here.
The inspiration I got for this year’s NaNo novel came from those reasons.  It will be a funny take on the scary movie/thrill genre which will give me some experience in that genre.  Imagine if you will a short, anthropomorphic, demonic duck.  His minions are the tall, brawny ostriches who literally have their heads in the sand.  These minions will be in varying degrees of stupid which will be where a lot of the comic relief in the action will come from and the ‘leader’ will have most of the one-liners.  Such this one: ‘Leave me alone, I’m brooding.’  either the demonic duck or his ‘wife’ will say that while sitting on a nest or chair while reading plans for the next conquest.
The bad guys can’t go around unchecked, of course, so on the spur of the moment, we came up with a flamingo.  A flamboyant flamingo who uses a rapier and dances and is already named, Flamenco… as in the dance, which he also does.
There’s two months to go to come up with the situations and comments for this book.  I want people to laugh all the way through this book and feel sorry for the poor bad duck.  That’s plenty of time… or not.
On to the goals!!
1. Work on chapters 1 through 3 of Society of Night and Lies. Make them shine with more show and a bit less tell.
I’ll give you three guesses.  The first two don’t count.  Abso-f***ing nothing!  Nada!  Zilch!  Not a thing done!  I have looked through and found places to start but I haven’t touched it at all since setting it up on Google Docs so my friend can help out.
2. If there’s time, write two more chapters to Black Friday 2.
Since nothing was done to one, nothing has been done with two.
3. Read. Doesn’t matter which author or genre, just read.
Don’t be surprised if this is the only goal I meet this month.  I’m still slogging through the Apprentice Adept series.  I‘m finally on the last book in the series, Phaze Doubt.  It’s slow going because I have never read this one before.  Next, I’ll be reading Scene and Structure and Michelle Pierce’s beta The Sorcerer’s Blade.  Both deserve my full and undivided attention.
That’s it from me.  How’s everyone else doing?

No comments:

Post a Comment