Saturday, February 23, 2013

Long Time No Blog


To all who read my posts, I’m sorry I haven’t written anything in a while beyond the odd comment or two.  Not to mention, I totally flaked on the blog hop I was supposed to take part in.  Wednesday came and went before I realized it and I had no one to tag to carry the torch along.
While the excuse isn’t a good one, it is a valid one.  Thanks to changes in my schedule, working 10 to 7 each night and having my days off split, I’ve been too tired to think about writing anything.  Sure, I’m home before 7:30, 8 at the latest, but believe me when I say there is no sleeping in, not with a child that needs to be bustled off to school before my eyes are ready to open.
There is something else.  It took me these couple of weeks to realize it, but it has definitely slowed down my progress on revisingSociety of Night and Lies or touching Black Friday 2.  I am terrified.
What am I terrified of?  Success.  Plain and simple.  When I started making plans for an official launch of my first, and only, book, my ability to even consider writing above all else went away.  I’ll open the files but only get that far.  There’s no inspiration to do what I want to do.
I am simply afraid that no one will want to come and get a book let alone meet the person who wrote it.  I am terrified of the possible crowds (agoraphobic and claustrophobic) which will come by.  Mostly, I don’t want to endure the social fear of just sitting there with nothing to do except play on my phone because no one wanted a signed book.
Honestly, I have no idea how to go about getting the word out there’s a new author in Tulsa beyond me plastering Facebook with posts and Tweeting it at every chance while at work (which could get me fired if caught).  I could send out my card to local stations or even call them as well as asking at the many book shops here in town.
Getting the time off to do signings or interviews is nothing.  All I have to do is request the day and make sure my manager knows how important it is that I get these functions.  He’ll probably want to show up at one once he knows when.
Now, I have rebuilt my computer from the processor up.  The down time from that was nothing, so that won’t be considered at all.  Actually, Dave did the work, I did the loading once Windows was installed.  Still, it did take a day or two to get done.
Because of all of that, I haven’t posted.  I will be trying to get back on track as soon as I can though don’t expect a whole lot while I adjust to having split days off.  We’re resetting modulars, so there will be overtime coming as well.  Monday, Wednesdays, and Thursdays won’t see a lot of activity, but I’ll be switching Black Friday from Sundays to Fridays and put the erotica compilation on hold until things settle down and I get SoNL sent out to agents and publishers.
There’s still the query letter to write, a summary, and practice pitching it.  There’s no way I’ll have it ready for Pitch Madness when the next round starts, unless that gets postponed.  For now, I’m going to focus on revising SoNL and thinking of a name for the book itself.  The rest, well, can wait.

No comments:

Post a Comment